Saturday, January 3, 2009

Blog 12/21
Happy first day of winter everyone! It’s another 100 degree day here in Mozambique. I’m trying to imagine what it’d be like to be cold right now, and I just can’t picture it. I’m dripping sweat all the time here, so gross.
So Becky and I moved into our new house! It is great! I’ll try to describe it. So you walk into the main living room area, it’s a pretty good sized room. When we got here, there was a dining room table and 4 chairs and a gas tank and a stove. And two boxes of science fiction books, generously gifted by a previous volunteer, so I’m pretty much set on reading material for the next few years. Then on both sides of the living room are doors to bed rooms. There were already beds and mattresses when we got here, which was awesome. In my room I’ve crafted a nail and rope clothesline/closet and turned my moving boxes into bedside tables covered with some beautiful capulanas. Maybe someday when I’m feeling especially handy I’ll try to make some bookshelves or something. So then outside of the house, there’s a little reed hut thing that will eventually be our kitchen once we get a table made for it. A little ways away from the house is a cement casa de banho with (get this) a working shower and flushing toilet! So that’s our house! I love it. We’ve been making lots of trips into town to buy stuff the last few days, but I think we’re pretty set now.
We visited the school a few times this week and met some of the other teachers. They all seem pretty nice. It’s exhausting trying to not screw up the Portuguese too bad and always speak really formally when I’m meeting new people. Becky and I were introduced to everyone at a teacher’s meeting, and the only question someone asked was if we were single. Awkward. So I made the announcement: “Ja temos homens” and everyone started hooting and hollering. Ha, should be a fun group to work with! We’re headed to Tofo beach for Christmas with a couple other volunteers. Merry Christmas!!!

No comments: