Saturday, January 3, 2009

I found a place with real coffee and wireless internet! Kind of crazy! I'm doing great at my site, but it's been raining a lot lately. Usually when it rains it rains hard all day, so it makes it difficult to do stuff. We did make a garden the other day and attempted to plant a bunch of vegetables. After we finished, the neighbor boy came by and was telling us we did it all wrong, and proceeded to rake through the garden and put leaves on top. I don't know anything about gardening, could be right. We'll see! I planted some flowers around the house too. I hope stuff grows! Otherwise I've just been reading a lot. I read "Water for Elephants," which was really good, on the Elizabeth White (Is it a 5 star system?), I'd give it a 4 stars. Then I just finished "When a Crocodile Eats the Sun," which was a sort of depressing memoir of Zimbabwe, which gets 3 stars. I have my new address! Send stuff to:
Irma Stephanie Goettl
C.P. 31
Maxixe
Inhmambane
Mozambique

If you write me a letter, I promise you'll get one back! Hope everyone had a great New Year! Oh yeah! We went to two New Years parties and oh man, Mozambicans love to dance! And really enthusiastically. I think we're going to be known as the white girls who don't like to dance. I tried at one party to dance, and this guy says in English, "Oooh, you dance so well!" (lies) "It pleases me so much that you try to dance!" It was hilarious. You will all be so impressed with my dance skills when I get back.

4 comments:

SunSeaSweat said...

Congratulations on finishing training and getting your post! It sounds like it's going to be quite and experience - sounds like you won't want for occupation at least! Have an awesome time - I'll probably be dropping by every once in a while to live your crazy adventure vicariously.

-Tricia Hester

Erin said...

I'm expecting a full length dance recital when you get back. :)

Anonymous said...

What Erin said. AND a piano recital!

Unknown said...

Um... I love the word Mozambicans. Also - I miss you, Steph! Sorry for not having written yet, but I'm enjoying your blog and so glad you're doing well.

Gena