Sunday, December 14, 2008

I’m officially a volunteer! And not a moment too soon; I’m so ready to be done with training. We had a ceremony thing at the ambassador’s house in Maputo this week where there were lots of speeches about the importance of community integration and cross cultural interactions, yada yada… Then we ate some delicious appetizers and went along our way to more important sessions about demining and cyclones.

It’s my last day in Namaacha and very bittersweet. It’s really hard to say goodbye to people that I won’t see for another year or so. The last few days have been really fun and I’ve spent a lot of time with my family. I gave them some presents today, and I have to say, I think the snap bracelets were the biggest hit. I also gave them a collage of pictures. Scrapbooking people would be horrified, it was constructed out of flip chart paper and duct tape. So now I will forever be prominently featured in my homestay family’s house.
We’re driving to our site tomorrow with a few of the other people going to the Inhanbane province. I’m not quite sure what to expect, but I think we’ll have to go out and buy a lot of the stuff for our house the first couple days. I know there are bed frames, a table, and a couple chairs. So we have a little furnishing and decorating to do! We will be at site for about a week and then we’re heading to the beach for Christmas with a few friends.

I hope everyone’s holiday season is going well and is not too stressful! Erin sent me a text saying she was drinking a peppermint mocha the other day. That made me really miss Christmas! It really doesn’t feel like Christmas here because it’s like 100 degrees out every day, I have yet to see a Christmas commercial on TV, and I have not heard any Christmas music. I’m sure Delilah is taking some amazing and heartwarming holiday requests this year! On the plus side, this is definitely the least stressful Christmas I’ve ever had! We’re doing a secret santa within my province and that’s the only gift I’m buying! Kind of a nice change. I expect lots of phone calls around Christmas!! Let me know if you need my number!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Andria and I were listening to Delilah in the car the other night and thought of you and Brenna! Her advice and sentimental talks about the importance of love and family during the holiday season are truly inspiring. Can't wait to hear about your new place!

Unknown said...

Step, I can't believe you're done w/ training already. Congrats to you.. I love reading your blog. You are sooo funny. The Dellilah bit almost made me pee my pants. Please let me know your phone # and email. I will email you my Christmas letter. It will be good reading when you can't fall asleep. Take Care, you are in my thoughts and prayers often. Love u, joyce

Anonymous said...

i need your new address....

Unknown said...

Hey Steph! Glad you're done with training and congrats! We miss ya back here in AZ. It's been cold here though, but Jager takes the chill away. Hahaha. Hope you have a Merry X-Mas!

Kurt