Monday, October 13, 2008

Hey to whoever is reading this! I have officially been in Nammacha living with my host family for a week. All is good! In my host family, there´s a mom and dad, 3 sisters (15, 12, and 4) and a brother (13). We live in a little cement house with a tin roof (with electricity!). It´s a beautiful city... I love my walk home every day! You would all be so impressed, I have yet to get lost in Namaacha, and its a pretty big town!

I feel kind of like a big baby here, because I have to relearn how to do everything! Even though I insisted I could figure out how to take a bucket bath, my sister insisted on showing me how-- como se diz ´awkward´em portugues? I´m learning how to cook with charcoal, wash my clothes, and next week, kill a chicken (sorry rachel!!). The portuguese lessons are going pretty well, but it´s frustrating because I wish I could communicate well right now. In liu of being able to speak much portuguese, I´ve been having lots of dance parties (send bad rap music please!) and playing lots of cards with my host siblings. Miss you all lots!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We didn't think you'd get to the internet so soon. Mom was only exposed to killing chickens once and she didn't like it. You'll be able to go on Survivor after this experience. Where happy to hear things are going well, we pray for you often and miss you. Dad

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're doing alright Steph! Miss ya back here in AZ!

Erin said...

Bad rap music is the piece of American culture that you are passing on Steph? Please. :)

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Oh and when you chop off that chicken's head, don't let that sucker run around!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your dad... you are ready for Survivor.

I will send you a mix tape of bad rap... Request?

Chicken. Amateur. When you come back, I'll teach how to butcher a sheep all by yourself.

I'm going to go to target and buy you something. request?

Gina said...

I'm glad to hear things are going well, and that you're learning many important skills!!! :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like things are going well! Told Stuart about the bad rap music and he is very excited to make you a mix of his favorites :). On tape or CD? Miss you!!