Friday, November 20, 2009

It’s been a while since I’ve written. We’ve been done with school for a while now, and have had about a month of ‘wrapping up.’ National exams, correcting of exams, grades, etc. Lots of long days that would have been so much shorter if we would embrace the magic that is excel. We have computers and people that know how to use them here at our school, but everything is done by hand instead and checked over like 5 times before its finally recorded. I was at school 12 hours straight yesterday just reading off grades. That’s about 8 hours longer than my normal work day. And I have become very accustom to my half work days. The real world is going to be rough after this.

In other news… We had a couple girls from the new group of volunteers come visit our site for a few days. It was really fun to meet some new people, and it gave a lot of perspective on how I’ve changed over the past year. I have become way more lax about stuff like bleaching my veggies and boiling and filtering water. And pretty disillusioned and negative with a lot of things happening with the school system and different NGOs here. On the plus side, I am really proud of Portuguese progress and the fact that I can reject marriage proposals in 3 languages.

At the end of the month, I leave for Kenya! I am so freaking excited for this trip! David’s picking me up from the airport, and we’re going to spend about a week at the reserve he works in. I have been promised champagne hot air balloon safaris and a christmahanakwanaka party. It really doesn’t matter what we do, I just need a break from Mozambique and need some quality hang out time with David. Then we’re going to take the bus to Uganda and go white water rafting and go see some more animals. When I get back from my trip in mid Dec, I’m meeting up with my aunt, Terry in Mozambique. We’re going to do some traveling around and have a fabulous Christmas. It is going to be a wonderful month.

I hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving and takes some time to think about all we should be thankful for. And eat some pumpkin pie for me!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoy your travels, Steph! We miss you!

David said...

YES! Can't wait for you to get here. 4 days!

Unknown said...

BTW, thought you should know that the BUSTER closed up on Cty Rd 42. I knew you'd miss it so much.