Friday, July 10, 2009

Science Fair!
We held our school science fair a couple weeks ago and I was really happy with how it went. Becky and I have been meeting with the students for about a month, developing their projects or experiments using the scientific method. Buuut of course, the bulk of the work was done in the days before fair. We had a couple projects on electricity, a couple on plants, one on chickens. They came up with some pretty cool projects for really not having much to work with. On the day of the fair, we had 6 students present projects. We had a good number of parents, other students, teachers, and the director of the school that all showed up. While I don’t think it quite lived up to the director’s high expeectations, (what? No sound system, cultural dances and ministry officials present??) the kids all had a good time and I think we’ll have a lot more people participating next year. This was a really rewarding project to be part of. The kids were genuinely interested in science (which is a refreshing change from the blank stares I get every day in the classroom) and the kids were all proud of their final products. Next up, we’re bringing two of our students with us to the regional science fair in August. Becky and I are also planning this, which is a much more daunting task than the school fair. Now I just need to find where they sell crepe paper and funfetti cake in Mozambique and we will be set!

2nd tri is over! And I am so happy for that. I need a break. Teaching is not getting any easier. You know when you were a kid and someone is pushing really really fast on a merry-go-round and your feet fly out behind you and you’re holding on for dear life? That’s kind of what it’s felt like the past few weeks every time I go into the classroom. And so, I’m going to the beach. Be back in a few weeks and hopefully it’ll get better!

No comments: