Saturday, February 21, 2009

So many little cheaters in my classes!! I gave my first test this Thursday and Friday. The whole thing was just stressful! We don’t have the resources to print off tests to hand out, so I wrote my test on big paper and just posted it on the blackboard for everyone to copy. I made everyone put all their stuff at the front of the room and clearly explained that cheating would not be tolerated. Ok? ‘Sim, teacha!’ Ummm….no. I marked at least 20 people’s tests for cheating. And I only marked the superly obviously cheating tests. Staring at their neighbors page while I’m looking straight at them for like 5 seconds, cheat sheet falls out when they’re handing in the test, etc. When I stood at the front of the room, like a third of the class is just staring at me, waiting for me to look a different direction. My favorite was when I stood in the back of the room, and people would turn around to see where I was. I gave so many death stares my eyes hurt. Not only do you have the classroom of students to worry about, then there are always the sneaky little buggers from other classes who look in from outside and just stand there copying down the test. Not the ideal set up! So many times the past two days when I just wanted to start laughing, because they think they’re sooo sneaky, but they are soooo obvious!
So I get to grade 400 tests this weekend! I started yesterday and it’s pretty depressing. I’m hoping most of the people that did really bad just didn’t come to class and it wasn’t that they didn’t learn anything. A rock is a gas, soda is a solid and sand is a liquid?? Really? What is chemistry? The study of living things. No, that is the other white girl’s biology class. Like 3o people wrote that for the definition of chemistry! I really think they just can’t keep Becky and me straight. I’m trying to tell myself that the few people who did well on the test did well because they came and paid attention to my fascinating chemistry lessons. Ughh..

Also, someone broke into our outdoor kitchen last night. The door was locked, so they didn't break in, I think they climbed in where there's an opening where the ceiling meets the roof. They took the following: our crappy plastic shelving that keeps on falling over, a hammer, a bucket, a can of tuna, and some chicken stock. What?? I kind of feel like they deserve that stuff because that must have been quite the feat to climb up that and get all the stuff out. But chicken stock? Hmm...

No comments: